Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Online Rudeness

I've met some really wonderful people Online. Their kindness and generosity has left me speechless and inspired. At the same time, I've met some very rude ones. Their hostility has left me feeling miserable. Sometimes I consider giving up interacting online altogether because of this. The past few days have made me feel that way.

I visit a few blogs regularly, even though I don't post on my own all that often as you can see! I visited one blog a couple of days back and noticed one of the people who'd replied to a post had become rude. He called the blogger names and was aggressive. The blogger stayed calm - I don't know how - and tried to keep the discussion going in a friendly way. All the time I was wondering how she did it. I was wondering why she did it. I was wondering why he thought she should do it.

In real life, we can walk away from rude people, not open the door to them or cross the road when we see them outdoors. What do we do online? What do you do? Do you delete their rude comments, ignore them, put up with them, try to win them over?

1 comment:

  1. There will always be rude people on the internet, where one can hide behind a username or an avatar and remain anonymous.

    I do not tolerate rudeness when it is just for the sake of being rude as I consider that to be the equivalent of spam.

    I would delete and move on. I think that is best.

    ReplyDelete