Thursday, February 25, 2010

Resist the urge to ME, ME, ME!

I am new to social networking, but I am seeing something straight away that makes me shudder and turn off my computer - blatant self-promotion and "ME, ME, ME" syndrome. As a writer, I am networking to (hopefully) interest people in my writing, but direct, repetitive and in your face selling on the internet isn't appealing to readers. You go into a bookstore and a sales assistant leaps on you and won't let you out of her clutches - what do you do? You run!

I've been watching the way other writers behave on the internet, hoping to get some pointers because, honestly, networking frightens the hell out of me. What I have noticed about the ones that are doing well is they engage. They don't force people to look at their work. They don't send emails to you asking you to buy their book. They don't post links to their book's Amazon page every hour. Talking to them is like talking to a real human being, not a sales machine.

The biggest issue I can see with places like Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, etc., is that these sites don't encourage community. Status updates are all about "ME". It's difficult to get around it. I look at my Twitter page and I don't know what to say - I feel compelled to tell the world what I'm doing - I feel compelled to make it all about "ME".

I don't know how to network online, but I think I'm getting a good idea of how NOT to. If I ever post on my Twitter page "Check out my bestselling book! Buy it now!", I hope some nice person will come along and hit me upside my head - hard!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Marianne,

    It's worth persevering with Twitter. It has had a very positive effect upon the activity at my web site. I agree with you, by the way, about direct selling and the fact that most people flee at the sight of it... me being one of them. I think it's possible to build a web presence without forcing what you're selling down everyone's throat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is refreshing to find someone in the same boat that I'm in. I love to write, and after many restless nights, I finally jumped in the publishing pool. I too am searching the internet, and it makes me cringe when I see the words "I bet you'd like my new novel! It's about..." it just feel wrong. I'm going to try and stay true to that still small voice that insists on authenticity, because I really believe that people appreciate genuine communication over the marketing machine anyday of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth, I really believe that too. The marketing machine is so impersonal and I imagine its very counterproductive. I want to connect with people - not just sell at them.

    Gina, I'm keeping going with Twitter because I can see so many people are having fun there. Looks like it takes time to get to that place, but I'm persevering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I followed a Twitter link to your blog. I really like what you have to say. I've quit following a few people because every link they posted led to the sales page for their book. Once in a while, fine. But every single link, ten to twenty times a day? I follow people who provide interesting links and content, especially those who say what the link is when they post it.

    I'm also an author trying to figure out marketing. Good luck with your book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi

    I can so well relate to this post. this is one of the major reasons why i am out of all this online social networking.

    ReplyDelete